- •The frequcency of an empty sella is increased in acromegaly patients.
- •GH-secreting adenomas show a quantificable, downward-directed growth.
- •Hypothetically, this growth pattern reflects speciric bone remodeling processes.
- •Craniometric measures can be used for pituitary adenoma differentiation.
Abbreviations:ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone), AUC (Area under curve), ES (Empty sella), GH (Growth hormone), ICC (Intra-class correlation coefficient), IGF-1 (Insulin-like growth factor 1), ISE (Intrasellar extension), ISR (Inferior-superior tissue ratio), PRL (Prolactin), SI diameter (Superoinferior diameter), SSE (Suprasellar extension), STM (Superior tissue margin)
- Prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a community-based, cross-sectional study in Banbury (Oxfordshire, UK).Clin. Endocrinol. 2010; 72: 377-382
- Cephalometric assessment of cranial abnormalities in patients with acromegaly.J. Craniomaxillofac. Surg. 2003; 31: 80-87
- Reduced intercarotid artery distance in acromegaly: pathophysiologic considerations and implications for transsphenoidal surgery.Surg. Neurol. 2009; 72: 456-460
- Management of large pituitary adenomas by transsphenoidal surgery.Surg. Neurol. 1988; 29: 443-447
- The surgical treatment of acromegaly.Pituitary. 2017; 20: 76-83
- Objective criteria for successful transsphenoidal removal of suprasellar nonfunctioning pituitary adenomas. A prospective study.Acta Neurochir. 2007; 149: 21-29
- Prospective evaluation of the characteristics and incidence of adenoma-associated dural invasion in Cushing disease.J. Neurosurg. 2012; 116: 272-279
- The association of Cushing’s disease and primary empty sella turcica.Pituitary. 2001; 4: 145-151
- Clinical characteristics of acromegalic patients with empty sella and their outcomes following transsphenoidal surgery.Pituitary. 2017; 20: 403-408
- Empty sella syndrome and pituitary apoplexy.Lancet. 1988; 1: 1053
- Vanishing pituitary mass revealed by timely magnetic resonance imaging: examples of spontaneous resolution of nonfunctioning pituitary adenoma.Acta Neurochir. 2005; 147: 253-257
- Endocrine function after spontaneous infarction of the human pituitary: report, review, and reappraisal.Endocr. Rev. 1980; 1: 100-107
- Pituitary apoplexy.Indian J. Endocrinol. Metab. 2011; 15: 188-196
- Transsphenoidal surgery in patients with acromegaly: operative strategies for overcoming technically challenging anatomical variations.Neurosurg. Focus. 2010; 29: E8
- Evaluation of nasal cavity of acromegalics–its morphological and surgical implication in comparison to non-acromegalics.Endocr. J. 2000; 47: 65-68
- MR imaging of pituitary morphology in idiopathic intracranial hypertension.J. Magn. Res. Imaging. 2000; 12: 808-813
- Growth hormone secreting pituitary microadenomas and empty sella – an under-recognized association?.Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 2014; 126: 18-23
- The empty sella. A reappraisal of etiology and pathogenesis.Acta Neurol. Scand. Suppl. 1990; 130: 1-25
- The acromegaly syndrome. Relation between clinical features, growth hormone values and radiological characteristics of the pituitary tumours.Q. J. Med. 1982; 51: 189-204
- Pituitary MRI characteristics in 297 acromegaly patients based on T2-weighted sequences.Endocr. Relat. Cancer. 2015; 22: 169-177
- Endocrine studies in patients with the empty sella syndrome.Arch. Int. Med. 1969; 123: 611-619
- Recurrent acromegaly associated with completely empty sella and otherwise normal pituitary function.J. R. Soc. Med. 1983; 76: 961-963
- The empty sella: results of treatment in 76 successive cases and high frequency of endocrine and neurological disturbances.Clin. Endocrinol. 1992; 37: 529-533
- Growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma confined to the sphenoid sinus associated with a normal-sized empty sella.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2002; 9: 196-199
- Coexistence of ectopic pituitary adenoma and empty sella in a patient with acromegaly: a case report and review of literature.Neurol. India. 2012; 60: 304-306
- Effect of primary empty sella syndrome on pituitary surgery for Cushing’s disease.J. Neurosurg. 2014; 121: 518-526
- ‘Empty sella’ on routine MRI studies: an incidental finding or otherwise?.Med. J. Armed Forces India. 2016; 72: 33-37