- •DTS is a type of limited angle tomography. Sixty coronal reconstructed images of the chest are produced that combine the superior resolution of radiography with the tomographic benefits of computed tomography.
- •The sensitivity for detecting a suspected lung lesions is 0.65 with CXR and 0.91 for DTS.
- •The high specificity of DTS (1) and the high negative predictive value (0.94) are similar to CT and suggest that if the DTS is normal patients do not need further assessment with CT with significant potential dose savings.
- •50% of suspected lesions were resolved with CXR, this improved to 96% with DTS.
Materials and method
- •Superior resolution
- •Better assessment of location in the AP dimension (better at locating a pleural or intrapulmonary lesion)
- •Better characterisation (better at distinguishing between calcified plaque and soft tissue)
- •Removes composite artefact caused by overlying anatomical structures (such as the ribs or pulmonary vessels)
- Peripheral lung cancer: screening and detection with low-dose spiral CT versus radiography.Radiology. 1996; 201: 798-802
- Epidemiology of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, 2nd ed..Chest. 2007; 132: 29S-55S
WHO. WHO fact sheet. World Heal. Organ. Website.
- Global cancer statistics: 2011.CA Cancer J Clin. 2011; 61 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21296855): 69-90
- Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose computed tomographic screening.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 395-409
- Tomosynthesis for the early detection of pulmonary emphysema: diagnostic performance compared with chest radiography, using multidetector computed tomography as reference.Eur Radiol. 2013; 23 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23515916): 2118-2126
- Digital tomosynthesis of the chest.Imaging. 2008; 23: 86-92
- Assessment on the detectability of non-calcified pulmonary nodules with chest digital tomosynthesis.Chin J Med Imaging Technol. 2011; 27/11: 1003-3289
- Pulmonary mycobacterial disease: diagnostic performance of low-dose digital tomosynthesis as compared with chest radiography.Radiology. 2010; 257 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20851944): 269-277
- Digital tomosynthesis of the chest: utility for detection of lung metastasis in patients with colorectal cancer.Clin Radiol. 2011; : 1-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2011.08.017
- Comparison of chest tomosynthesis and chest radiography for detection of pulmonary nodules: human observer study of clinical cases.Radiology. 2008; 249 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18849504): 1034-1041
- Practical applications of digital tomosynthesis of the chest.Clin Radiol. 2013; (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24333001 [accessed 18.01.14]): 1-7
- Comparison of chest digital tomosynthesis and chest radiography for detection of asbestos-related pleuropulmonary disease.Clin Radiol. 2012; 68: 376-382
- Digital tomosynthesis of the chest for lung nodule detection: interim sensitivity results from an ongoing NIH-sponsored trial.Med Phys. 2008; 35 (Available from http://link.aip.org/link/MPHYA6/v35/i6/p2554/s1&Agg=doi [accessed 04.01.11]): 2554
- Digital tomosynthesis of the chest: utility for detection of lung metastasis in patients with colorectal cancer.Clin Radiol. 2012; 67 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21939964 [accessed 21.02.14]): 232-238
- Comparison of chest tomosynthesis and chest radiography for detection of pulmonary nodules: human observer study of clinical cases.Radiology. 2008; 249: 1034-1041
- European guidelines on quality criteria for computed tomography.Rep. Eur. 1999; (Available from http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&btnG=Search&q=intitle:European+guidelines+on+quiality+criteria+for+computed+tomography#0 [accessed 02.02.14])
- Fleischner Society: glossary of terms for thoracic imaging.Radiology. 2008; 246: 697-722
- The hilum in pulmonary venous hypertension.Br J Radiol. 1962; 35 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14462916): 303-313
- Chest roentgenology.Saunders, 1973: 183 ([chapter 5])
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2013 (Available from http://www.r-project.org/)
- Guidelines for management of small pulmonary nodules detected on CT scans: a statement from the Fleischner Society.Radiology. 2005; : 395-400
- Comparison of chest tomosynthesis and chest radiography for detection of pulmonary nodules: human observer study of clinical cases.Radiology. 2008; 249
- Digital tomosynthesis as a problem-solving imaging technique to confirm or exclude potential thoracic lesions based on chest X-ray radiography.Acad Radiol. 2013; 20 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23473723 [accessed 0.02.14]): 546-553
- The value of digital tomosynthesis in the diagnosis of suspected pulmonary lesions on chest radiography: analysis of diagnostic accuracy and confidence.Acad Radiol. 2010; 17 (Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20591695): 1267-1274
- Analysis of the impact of digital tomosynthesis on the radiological investigation of patients with suspected pulmonary lesions on chest radiography.Eur Radiol. 2012; : 1912-1922
- National audit of diagnosis of lung cancer on chest radiography.2005 (Available from http://www.rcr.ac.uk/audittemplate.aspx?PageID=1020&AuditTemplateID=108)
- Lung cancer detection with digital chest tomosynthesis: baseline results from the observational study SOS.J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: 685-692
- Commentary on: comparison of chest digital tomosynthesis and chest radiography for detection of asbestos-related pleuropulmonary disease.Clin Radiol. 2013; 68: 336-337https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2012.09.006
- Digital tomosynthesis of the chest: comparison of patient exposure dose and image quality between standard default setting and low dose setting.Korean J Radiol. 2013; 14 (Available from http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=3655311&tool=pmcentrez&rendertype=abstract): 525-531